It’s time to throw a really fun party with these Luau Party Ideas which is perfect for summer! The kids can help make these easy decorations, all you need are a few easy to find supplies! Then add food and you are ready to party!
Putting together the Luau Party Decorations did take some time, but they are not hard. And the nice thing is, we have figured out all the details for you, now just add some supplies and a little creativity and you can put together a fun party too!
Our friends at Duck Tape asked if we would like to put together a Summer Party and share it with you. There aren’t many things more fun than a Summer party, especially when it involves Palm Trees, Tiki Heads, Sandals with Flowers and Tiki Torches = Hawaiian Party Ideas! Oh and we can’t forget about the food!
Although we really wanted to have the Luau Party at the beach, after much discussion, we decided to host it inside. The main reason was the transportation of the food and having it set outside, sometimes that can be tricky.
First, let’s talk about the Palm Trees – they are made with pool noodles covered with brown Duck Tape, and the leaves are made with paper, Duck Tape and wire. Let’s make the leaves…
Let’s gather our supplies to make the Palm Tree Leaves.
Palm Tree Leaves Supplies
- Duck Tape – dark and light green
- Paper – roll of white paper works best
- Wire cutters
Affiliate links are used. AnInspiring may earn a small affiliate commission from purchases made from our editorially chosen links.
The Palm Tree Leaves can be made in any size that you need. We made ours 20, 16 and 12 inches long and 6-8 inches wide.
How to make Palm Tree Leaves
- Working on a cutting mat, add paper cut to the size of the leaf. Begin by adding a strip of Duck Tape. We used different colors to add interest.
- Continue adding Duck Tape until the paper is completely covered.
- Turn the paper over and mark the center where you will add the wire.
- Add a couple strips of tape, then add the wire.
- Add tape over the wire.
- Continue adding tape to cover the rest of the paper.
- Cut out leaf. You can draw a pattern onto the leaf, or cut free hand.
- Make small slits around the leaf in different sizes
- Cut out all the leaves.
- Bend the wire to shape the leaf.
After the leaves are made, it’s time to put together the Palm Tree.
How to Make a Palm Tree
- Pool Noodle – any size will work, we used 4 1/4 inch round and left the full length. If you want them taller you can buy an extra noodle and cut it, then tape the pieces together.
- Brown Duck Tape
- Metal Pipe (optional) – depending on where you are going to put your Palm Tree, you may need a pipe to secure it.
- Tall Planter (optional) – we used this to hold the Palm Tree, you could also add it directly into the ground
- Play Sand (optional) – we used this to hold the pipe and weight down the planter
- Wrap pool noodle with brown Duck Tape
- Add pipe to center of pool noodle
- Add bag of sand to planter (if using)
- Use hammer to drive the pipe into the bag of sand – or into the ground
- Begin adding the leaves, using the wire into the top of the pool noodle. Add the largest leaves first, then the next size and then the smallest. .
- Shape the leaves to resemble palm leaves
I think the Tiki Heads are my favorite. They did take some time to figure out the faces, but the GOOD news is – I have the template for the faces for you to download, so it won’t take you long at all.
How to Make Tiki Heads for Luau Party
- Clay Pots – we used 10 inch
- Spray Paint – we used Krylon Wild Oats and Brown Boots
- Duck Tape – any colors you like
- Leaves – made the same way as the Palm Trees, only smaller and different colors
- Cutting Mat
- X-ACTO Knife
- Gray or Black Fine Sharpie – for teeth (upper head)
- In a well ventilated area, paint the clay pots. Let dry several hours
- Download the Tiki Face Templates
- Working on the cutting mat, trace each of the pieces and cut them out.
- Add to the clay pot to make face.
- Add extra pieces for war paint, or to decorate the pots. Get creative!
- To add the leaves, add the leaf through the hole in the clay pot and bend to the inside to secure them. Bend to shape the leaves.
If you want to use the Tiki head as a drink holder, add a small plastic or metal bucket to the inside of the clay pot. Add ice and drinks.
Next up for our Luau Party Decorations, let’s add sandals with Duck Tape flowers. You can also make the flowers and use them as decorations, or string them to create leis for guests to wear.
Duck Tape Flower Supplies
- Duck Tape – in your favorite colors
- Paddle Wire – for attaching the flowers to the sandals
- Hibiscus flowers – to use the center – I found these at Walmart
- Glue – to form the circle for the flower petal
- Thread or Twine
- Floral Tape
- Wire Cutters
How to Make Duck Tape Flowers
- Wrap wire around glue bottle (or other round item) to form circles. Lay out Duck Tape and place wire on top. Fold over tape and then cut out each petal. Be sure NOT to cut too close to the wire.
- Cut the stamens from Hibiscus flowers, and strip edges to leave just the top portion
- Lay 3 petals, and then the stamen
- Put together the other petals and then VERY tightly wrap the petals together with twine or thread
- Wrap the stem with floral tape
- Cut off floral tape and secure
- Form petals to create flower
- Using the paddle wire, add the Duck Tape Flowers to the sandals
To display the Sandals for guests, we added sand to a clay pot and stuck them into the sand. Be sure to tape the hole in the bottom of the pot shut.
We wanted to add Tiki Torches to the Luau Party, but since we were hosting it inside, we decided they needed a little fire on them.
We used yellow, orange and red Duck Tape and cut it into strips. Fold the tape over on itself, and leave a small portion of the tape showing to secure it to the torch.
After all the decorations were in place, it was time to add the food. A party just isn’t a party without food, but we wanted to keep it simple.
Creating a Charcuterie Board is great for entertaining! They are easy to put together, and look spectacular on the party table!
It wouldn’t be a party without dessert, and of course, around here, we love cupcakes! These Rainbow Party Cupcakes start with a yellow cake mix and are doctored up with colorful cream tops. A lush frosting with whipped topping and crushed pineapple send them over the top!
How can you miss popcorn during a party? Learn more healthy popcorn recipes here, all you need is a microwave!
The Luau Party turned out great! It was fun to put together and we all loved the time we spent together!
Hawaiian Luau Party Ideas
- Background – found at Party City – Bamboo Scene Setter
- Palm Trees – made with Pool Noodles and Leaves in tall planter – covered with Table Skirt found at Party City
- Tiki Heads – made with Clay Pots and Duck Tape
- Sandals with Duck Tape Flowers
- Tiki Torches – in buckets filled with play sand
- Foods – Healthy Microwave Popcorn and Rainbow Cupcakes
- Fresh Pineapple and Coconuts
- Plastic drink containers for the kids – found at Party City
- Plates and napkins