This blog is updated in 2020
Looking for ideas for displaying pictures on walls? A picture frame gallery wall would be the No.1 choice! We are going to teach you how to arrange a photo gallery wall and how to do a gallery wall right. It’s a wall, sure you don’t want to make mistakes and redo it. And most importantly, we will show you how to display photos tastefully. It could be like a mini at-home art gallery! Now, scroll down and get yourself some creative gallery wall inspiration!
Make one these easy do it yourself gallery wall. Like so easy! If you are looking for your first DIY project, this would be the perfect project to start with. It will only take you a couple of hours (except for drying times) to complete.
I love how this picture frame gallery wall turned out! And I love how it fills the space on this once awkward wall so nicely! Now you can make a gallery wall with shelves for your home too!
Here are the steps on how to make this DIY gallery wall shelves. We have two shelves, so you will just need to repeat the process to make another one! Here’s the dimension we use for these particular shelves, but you may want to adjust the lengths to fit your particular wall space.
*Use a harder wood other than pine. We used poplar wood for our shelves.
You will need the following materials:
8 foot in length, 1-inch x 2-inch piece of wood
8 foot in length, 1-inch x 3-inch piece of wood
8 foot in length, 1-inch x 4-inch piece of wood
miter box saw
nail gun (nails and hammer)
1. If needed, cut your wood to the length you want your shelf to be…our shelves are 8 feet long.
2. The back of the photo ledge will be the 4-inch piece of wood. Apply a thin line of glue along the bottom edge of the 4-inch wood piece. Glue it to the 3-inch piece of wood as seen in the photo below. Fasten it with several nails or wood screws along the backside of the 4-inch piece of wood. Wipe off any excess glue from the seams of the photo ledge.
3. Glue the 2-inch piece of wood to the other side of the 3-inch piece of wood. Secure in place with some nails along the backside of the 2-inch piece of wood. Wipe off any excess glue. Let the glue dry.
4. Sand all of the edges with sandpaper and a hand sander. Wipe off any excess dust with a slightly damp cloth.
5. Fill in the cracks with a thin line of painter’s caulk. Smooth the caulk with your finger and wipe off any excess before it dries.
6. Paint your shelf or stain it. Let it dry completely!
7. To hang your shelf on the wall, you will want to make sure you are screwing it into the wall studs so that it is extra sturdy and not in danger of pulling off of the wall…especially if you have a little one who might be tempted to hang from it!
8. We used a stud finder along the wall and marked with painter’s tape where the studs where so we knew where to add the screws and screw the shelf into the wall. We also used a level to make sure the photo ledges were straight.
9. We held the shelf up to the wall where it was going to be and used the painter’s tape markers to mark on the shelf where the screws would be. Then using a drill and a bit, we screwed into the wood and created some pilot holes. These pilot holes will prevent your screws from splitting the wood on the shelf.
10. You will need someone to help hold the shelf while you screw it onto the wall where you have marked your studs. Screw right through the wood. These holes will most likely be hidden with your photo frames. If they are showing, simply add a little dab of paint on the front of the screw and it will disappear. The back of the shelf will be the taller 4-inch piece of wood.
Add your photos and enjoy this new way of creative photo display ideas! Do you know what else I love about this type of picture walls? I love how easy it is to change our photos. When you get a fun new photo that you want to display, all you have to do is change out your photo and simply place the frame back onto the gallery wall shelves!
I LOVE this space now! This wall used to be a little bit awkward and long and I had a hard time knowing how to decorate it before. I also love the contrast of the fun and colorful photos against the white background! The shiplap adds a little bit of extra texture as well and this room has really become one of my favorite spaces.
The kids also enjoy seeing themselves on our walls. Photos really add a beautiful and personal touch to your home! It can also remind you of all the many great things you have done together as a family and remind us of loved ones who may no longer be in your home for one reason or another!
Understand how to make a perfect gallery wall now? Go make yourself an at-home art gallery!
Thanks for stopping by! xoxo