Last Updated on 2021-01-15 by Cookie Monster
Healthy Halloumi Breakfast: Have you ever had a grilled halloumi bowl topped with tasty Kalamata olives in Greece? The warm weather and the scenery covered by ancient olive trees made the halloumi tastes even better!
Amazing Info On This Page
Why is the Halloumi Cheese so popular?
Halloumi originated from Cyprus. Its popularity spread across Greece and the Middle East, and later to the world. It is made of a mixture of cow, goat, or sheep milk. The melting point of halloumi is quite high so it can be cooked by grilling or frying. It is popular as a substitute for meat. This cheese is also highly nutritional. One portion of halloumi contains 70% of the recommended daily calcium quantity. Additionally, halloumi has other nutrition such as vitamin A, vitamin B, magnesium, selenium, and zinc.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ My favourite Halloumi Cheese brand –> Click here to buy from Amazon
Also, check out another breakfast recipe we excerpted from Diala’s Kitchen, Banana, Walnut, and Blueberry Muffins. It’s an amazing combination to try if you’re craving some sweet treats but want the perfect healthy option!
Quinoa, Egg and Halloumi Breakfast Recipe
- 2 Servings
- Eggs, Grains, Vegetarian, Greece, Middle East, Mediterranean
- 1 cup white quinoa (rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 2 cups baby spinach (tightly packed)
- 2 eggs
- 4 thick slices halloumi cheese
- 1 avocado (pitted, peeled, and sliced)
- freshly cracked pepper
- In a medium-sized saucepan, mix the quinoa, water, and salt. Boil the ingredient over medium-high heat in the beginning and then reduce the heat to low. Cover the saucepan with a lid and let it simmer for 12 to 14 minutes until the quinoa is soft and took in all the water. Remove the quinoa from the saucepan and let it sit on the side, covered.
- In a medium-sized pan for frying, add 1 tablespoon or 15 ml of olive oil over medium heat. Add and cook the tomatoes for about 3 minutes. Then, place the cooked tomatoes in a bowl. Clean the pan by wiping.
- On the same frying pan, add and cook the spinach until it slightly wilts. Afterward, place the spinach on a plate. Keep the spinach warm by covering it with a foil.
- Again, in the same pan (with or without wiping), add 1 tablespoon or 15 mL of olive oil over medium heat. Crack the eggs into the pan with space between the eggs and cook them for 3 to 4 minutes when the whites are cooked and the yolks are still runny. Move the fried eggs to the same plate with the spinach. Wipe the pan to clean.
- Use medium heat to warm up the pan. Cook the halloumi for 1 minute for each side.
- To finish up the bowl, distribute the quinoa between bowls. Add the cooked toppings in the bowl: tomatoes, spinach, eggs, halloumi, and avocado. Season your bowl with salt and pepper.
Tip: Although halloumi cheese is the main ingredient in the halloumi bowl, you can instead substitute it with crumbled feta or goat cheese. Crumbled feta and goat cheese are incredibly flavorful and give your bowl a texture that matches your other ingredients.
What other ingredients are suitable for the halloumi bowl?
Tips: I will recommend these toppings:
What other ingredients would you like to put in your own bowl?