This blog is updated in 2020
What to do on Halloween to make it at least a bit different than other lockdown days? It may sound silly, but you can try to make some Halloween finger puppets. They are very easy to make, you can use any materials that you can get in your house. And they are tiny. You can just abandon them somewhere after Halloween, no big messes at all. So, if you are looking for ways to make your Halloween day a bit special without making a big fuss, these finger puppets would be perfect for you.
HAND FINGER PUPPETS
A simple finger puppet is a small, hollow figure that fits over a single finger. Finger puppets are usually a cartoon representation of a figure—human, animal, or abstract in form. The finger puppet is placed over the finger or thumb and is moved and animated by the person wiggling their fingers. They are often used in child’s play or tell tell a story. Finger puppets are a fun and imaginative way to play with your children or to allow them to play with on their own. Finger puppets are also a great way to engage the child in an activity that uses their brains and their imaginations!
I have shared several different versions of finger puppet patterns over the years here on The Idea Room. I created them for my young children to play with and then shared them here with you! They remain some of my most popular items even years later.
HALLOWEEN FINGER PUPPETS
But with all the hand finger puppets I have created in the past, I haven’t created any for Halloween! So I thought it would be fun to create some Halloween Finger Puppets to add to our Finger Puppet Pattern Collections! And who doesn’t love a cute Halloween Character?
These Halloween Finger Puppets would be so fun to create and share with your grandchildren or children for Halloween! A healthier alternative to the traditional Halloween candy! It would also be fun to create and make them with your kids and grandkids if they are old enough to help!
The Halloween characters included are as follows:
- black cat
HOW TO MAKE FINGER PUPPETS
Making finger puppets is a fairly easy and creative process. You can literally make any finger puppet to represent any character, animal or object! The sky is the limit to your creativity. If you kid has a love of all things trucks, you could make a set of different trucks for him/her to enjoy playing with. These are the basic instructions to making a finger puppet with felt.
- Cut out the pattern pieces you will download or create a pattern yourself. If you don’t want to create a pattern or use one of ours, simply cut and create your own as you go!
- Use a nice thick high quality felt so that the puppets will last for years to come. Kids can be hard on things, so a nice quality piece of felt will make them last longer!
- Glue (with hot glue) the head or body pieces together on just three sides. Usually it is the two sides and the top. This will leave an opening on the bottom of the finger puppet for the finger to be inserted.
- Add any facial or other elements and embellishments to the head piece.
- Get creative and add some other items like buttons, embroidery thread, pom poms, glitter, etc. Just make sure if you are adding these extra pieces that are small, you only allow them to be used by a child old enough to not choke on the little parts.
- Glue on some google eyes if you need eyes. These are fun and come in different colors and sizes!
- Have fun and enjoy them with your kids and grandkids!
Thanks so much for stopping by! xoxo