Last Updated on 2021-01-09 by Audie Casiguran
A few years ago I wanted to do something really special for my husband on Valentine’s Day.
I didn’t want anything in return, only that the evening was fun and enjoyable, and that was how it turned out.
What you’ll need:
- A white table cloth
- Approximately 20 silver balloons
Silver ribbon for the balloons
- Selection of white candles of differing shapes and sizes (unscented)
- Several sheets of red cardboard (thin enough to cut)
- Blu-Tack or other safe, removal adhesive
- White platter for prawns (substitute if you prefer something else)
- Small white plates
- Ice and lemons for prawn platter
- Two servings of French Fries
- Seafood sauce for dipping
- Bowl for prawn shells
- Finger bowl with lemon slices (to wash fingers when peeling prawns)
- Red paper napkins
- Small Gold Stars
- Ornamental opaque glass pebbles
- Small posy of flowers (in case he forgets)
- Small vase
- Aromatherapy oil burner
- Aphrodisiac essential oils of rose, jasmine and mandarin
- Cool, sensual music (soul music is great)
Setting the mood and table
- Blow up all balloons, tie with silver ribbon around chairs, ceiling, anywhere in the area you’ll be dining.
- Cut out as many love hearts as possible from the red cardboard and stick with Blu-Tack (or other safe adhesive ? read instructions first) wherever you can and where you can easily removable it.
- To set the mood place water in your aromatherapy oil burner and add some aphrodisiac essential oils; add 3 drops rose; 3 drops jasmine; and 5 drops mandarin. Light the tea light candle approximately 30 minutes before arrival.
- Put tablecloth on table.
- Using panache strategically group some candles together at one end of table.
- Always use caution with lit candles – never leave the room unattended when burning candles, this applies to aromatherapy oil burners.
- Strategically place the remaining candles around the room. (I loathe being a killjoy but please ensure candles are not close to any flammable objects)
- Position large white platter in center of table; shell bowl next to platter then finger bowl with lemon slices.
- Place red napkins and fork on top of smaller plates and positioned where you’ll be sitting.
- Bring out vase and flowers.
- Place opaque glass pebbles around candle display on table and several around white prawn platter.
- Sprinkle a small amount of gold stars on table for effect.
- A selection of fine chocolates
- Bottle of red wine
- 2 red wine glasses
- Red ribbon
- Valentine’s Day Card
- Tie the two red wine glasses stem up, with red ribbon to the top of the wine bottle and place with Valentine’s card on table.
- Scatter chocolates on table
- Just before he arrives:
– Light candles
– Check aromatherapy oil burner
– Place prawns on platter as well as some ice and lemon wedges
– Place seafood sauce on table
– Have French fries almost ready to serve and waiting in the oven
– Turn on the music and program to repeat
– Take off apron
– Take a few deep breaths and reeellllaaaxxxxx
- If this doesn’t impress him, he may be asleep, unconscious or he’s finding a reference point of what is before him! Here’s to an evening filled with laughter, fun, and romance!